On average, seven women die from breast cancer every single day in Australia.
If these statistics don't change, this figure will rise to 47 women per day by 2020.*
Breast cancer is the most common cancer affecting women, with one in eight women diagnosed before the age of 85*.
Each woman deals with it differently. Nobody ever thought it would happen to them. But when it does, Mater chicks in pink is there to help.
Since 2004, Mater chicks in pink have been working to make a difference to the lives of women affected by breast cancer.
We supply mastectomy bras for every woman who undergoes the loss of one or both breasts. We supply women with wigs when they lose their hair. We pay for parking, grocery vouchers and counselling. We help terminally ill patients put together memory boxes for their children.
We try to be there however we can, in a practical and supportive way. Because the woman with breast cancer is someone you know. She is your sister, your aunty, your best friend, your Mum.
Mater chicks in pink provide invaluable assistance to these women when they need it most. Breast cancer treatment is physically, emotionally and often financially exhausting, but we ensure women are provided with the very best care.
*national breast cancer foundation statistics http://www.nbcf.org.au/Research/About-Breast-Cancer.aspx
Making a difference
Each year more than 1000 women at Mater hear the words 'you have breast cancer'.
Here are just a few of the ways that Mater chicks in pink help these women.
- Mastectomy bras - Mater chicks in pink provides specially-fitted mastectomy bras to women who undergo the loss of one or both breasts
- Art therapy - the Creative Arts Therapy and Creative Express Programs provide women with a chance to celebrate their milestones, share difficulties and past experiences and help each other move forward despite being at different stages of breast cancer treatment. The creative, arts-based style of therapeutic intervention facilitates self-expression and communication, helping women to explore their cancer journey and to develop strategies for moving forward
- Counselling - your support will help fund specially designed counselling programs for women undergoing treatment
- Financial support - Mater chicks in pink provides financial support to women in need. Support is provided on a needs basis and can include items such as parking vouchers or house cleaning
- Gift packs - every woman who receives treatment for breast cancer at Mater is provided with a Mater chicks in pink gift pack. Each pack includes a pair of socks, a bottle of water, a bag of candy, wet wipes and a Mater chicks in pink pen
- Chick flicks - A range of chick flicks are provided for patients to watch while in bed. This can help to reduce anxiety or help women relax when tired
- Mum, memories and me - This program helps terminally ill patients put together memory boxes for their children with the support of a qualified cousellor
- Yoga therapy - Mater Redlands holds regular yoga therapy sessions to assist women in regaining movement following surgery. The classes also teach relaxation methods to help improve patients' emotional wellbeing